BC Building Code Interpretation Committee:
AIBC / APEGBC / BOABC / POABC / City of Vancouver
On November 2, 1999 the initial meeting of the BC Building Code Interpretation Committee was held in Richmond, BC. This committee includes two members from each of the four associations AIBC, APEGBC, BOABC, POABC, one from the City of Vancouver, and non-voting members from The Ministry of Social and Economic Security - Building Policy Section, The Office of the Fire Commissioner and the Homeowner Protection Office.
BOABC provides the recording secretary as well as a mailing address for interpretation requests.
The committee has agreed to terms of reference, which it functions under.
The committee meets on the third Tuesday of each month with the intention of providing generic interpretations that can form a basis for greater conformity and consistency in code use and application.
The committee is not time-sensitive, meaning it can not, and should not, be used to provide immediate site-specific interpretation.
The committee has developed an interpretation request form and a format for response. All requests will be acknowledged and the personnel will be notified in writing the results of their specific request. The decisions of the committee are made by consensus with each voting member in attendance having a vote. At least one member from each of the four associations must be present in order for a vote to take place.
Requests for interpretation or inquiries with respect to the committee may be made through the BOABC office, attention to the Secretary, Building Code Interpretation Committee, Suite 205-3740 Chatham Street, Richmond, BC V7E 2Z3
Bob Light - Committee Chair
City of Vancouver
- Ernie Nishi - Secretary
- Bob Thompson, Ministry of Social Development and Economic Security, Building Policy Section
- Open - Office of the Fire Commissioner
Vacant - Homeowner Protection Office
Terms of Reference
Name: B.C. Building Code Interpretation Committee
Purpose: Establish and communicate uniform, generic, province wide interpretations of the B.C. Building Code in response to written requests from code users.
Voting Members: The Committee will consist of 9 members with the following distribution:
- 2 members representing AIBC
- 2 members representing APEGBC
- 2 members representing BOABC
- 2 members representing POABC
- 1 member from the City of Vancouver
Non-voting Members: The Committee will include the following non-voting members:
- 1 member from the Building Policy Branch
- 1 member from the Homeowner Protection Office
- 1 member from the Office of the Fire Commissioner
- 1 member from BOABC to act as secretary to the Committee
Appointment: AIBC, APEGBC, BOABC & POABC representatives appointed by Council of their respective organization. City of Vancouver representative appointed by the City's Chief Building Official.
Quorum: Five members with at least one member from each of AIBC, APEGBC, BOABC, & POABC.
Voting: Consensus of voting members is required for all interpretations. If consensus is not attainable, the interpretation will be tabled.
Term of Office: Appointment are for a two-year term but continue until a member resigns or is relived.
Selection of Officers: The Chair is appointed by the members of the Committee.
Expenses: Each Association will sponsor an equal number of meetings at no cost to the Committee. Member of the Committee may be reimbursed for out-of-pocket expenses by their respective Associations.
- To facilitate province wide uniformity in the interpretation of the B.C. Building Code
- To establish a standard "Interpretation Request" form for submissions from code users
- To establish a standard "Interpretation" form for describing the interpretation
- To receive, discuss and evaluate interpretation request from code users
- To arrive at a consensus on the final wording of each interpretation for signature by the Chair
- To disseminate the completed interpretations to code users